Advertisement

Room Remodel: Wood Floor Separation Fix

Room Remodel: Wood Floor Separation Fix This was the first time I had installed a floating wood floor. The first time for anything is always a learning lesson and I caught most of my issues while installing the floor except for this one. Cold weather seam separation.


Floor was installed in late spring/early summer so the weather was not too cold. No issues during the summer or fall. But, now that winter and the colder days/nights are here, it's taken a toll on the floor's seams. There is some contraction/shifting in the floating floor to the point that you can see the unfinished wood in between the seams. Looks like a yellow line since the color of the flooring is so dark and is very apparent in sunlight or when the light is on and you look down.


Since I left about 1/4" at the wall to accommodate expansion, that means there is room to float and shift, which is exactly what is happening. So the floor is doing what it's supposed to.


In hindsight and if I was to install another wood floor, I would paint/stain all the tongue/grooves a matching color to help hide this effect. My after installation answer is to use a method of getting paint into the seams without making too much of a mess.


I tinkered with a few methods (model kit sprayer, tiny paint brush, compressed air, etc.) and then went to an air brush with a dedicated compressor. Worked like a charm and this video is how and what I did to make the floor seams disappear.

416,Barrett,reloading,bench,reloadingbench,dies,Lee,room remodel wood floor stain paint airbrush seams separation installation,

Post a Comment

0 Comments